Roofing shingles extend the life of all types of structures, provide adequate protection, and improve the appearance of buildings in both urban and rural locations. They come in a variety of textures, colours, and patterns, and they require less upkeep than most other roofing shingles materials.
Roofing shingles Types and Life Expectancy
1. Asphalt 3-tab roofing shingles :
For decades, asphalt 3-tab roofing shingles have been the most common roofing material. This long-lasting material is made up of an asphalt/fiberglass base roofing shingle that is topped in protective granules for added durability and colour. They are popular among homeowners because of their low cost and simplicity of installation.
Advantages of asphalt 3- tab roofing shingles :
- The cost of installing asphalt roofing shingles is low. If the roof deck is in good shape, they can be put directly over previous roofing shingles.
- Asphalt roofing shingles are classified as Class A fire resistant, meaning they can sustain a fire for up to two hours. If you live in a fire-prone location, talk to your contractor about alternate roofing options, as there are many that are preferable to asphalt.
- This type of roofing shingle may be found in most home improvement stores.
Lifespan of asphalt 3-tab roofing shingles : 20 years
2. Architectural roofing shingles :
Architectural roofing shingles are comparable to asphalt roofing shingles in that they are made of the same materials as asphalt roofing shingles and are also recyclable. During the manufacturing process, an extra tab or layer is added to give greater durability as well as aesthetic appeal.
Asphalt roofing shingles are rather light, so they won’t put a burden on a conventional building’s structure.
Advantages of architectural roofing shingles :
- Asphalt roofing shingles are rather light, so they won’t put a burden on a conventional building’s structure.
- There’s a huge range of colours to match almost any exterior.
- Various forms and sizes to improve your curb appeal
- Many roofing systems are more expensive than this.
- They don’t require a lot of upkeep.
- Installation is relatively rapid, saving you time and minimising interruption.
- Sections that have been destroyed can be repaired.
- withstands fire
- Resists insects
- Good in snow and rain
- Resilient in modest hail
- Quality roofing shingles can withstand winds of up to 130 miles per hour.
- The warranties on materials range from 15 years to Limited Lifetime.
- Upgraded roofing shingles or underlayment are optional additions that may increase your benefits.
The lifespan of architectural roofing shingles: 30 to 50 years
3. Wooden roofing shingles or shakes :
Wooden roofing shingles or shakes have been popular for generations and continue to be so now. Hardwoods or composite wood components are frequently used to make this long-lasting roofing material.
Advantages of wood roofing shingles :
- Wooden roofing shingles can last up to 25 years, which is significantly longer than asphalt roofing shingles. The longevity of your cedar-shingled roof is heavily dependent on the environment in your area, the type of wood utilized, and the thickness of the cut.
- Wooden roofing shingles are appealing to homeowners because they have a natural appearance.
- Cedar and wood roofing shingles are lighter than clay or slate roofing shingles, yet they nevertheless provide strength and moisture protection.
- Wooden roofing shingles are created from natural, biodegradable resources and are therefore environmentally benign.
The lifespan of Wooden roofing shingles and shakes: 20 years
4. Metal roofing shingles :
Metal roofing shingles used to be made out of plain corrugated sheets that had no aesthetic appeal. Metal roofing products are now available in a variety of styles to suit almost any architectural style. Steel, aluminum, or copper are frequently used to create appealing panels. Steel panels are given a metallic coating and a painted finish during production to prevent rust and improve aesthetic appeal. Because aluminum panels are naturally resistant to rust and corrosion, they do not require a metallic covering.
Advantages of metal roofing shingles :
- Metal roofing is a broad phrase that refers to a variety of materials such as steel, aluminum, and copper.
- Metal materials come in a wide range of styles and more than 100 hues, making them suitable for almost any architectural style. Durability can also be improved by metallic coatings and factory-applied paint.
- Metal roofing shingles are known for their long lifespans, which can last up to 60 years.
- Metal roofing shingle is a fire-resistant material. Because of its fire resistance, metal roofing can help you save money on your insurance, especially in regions like Texas and California, which are prone to wildfires.
- A metal roof will also boost a home’s market value.
The lifespan of Metal roofing shingles:40 to 80 years
5. Tile shingles :
Tile shingles are among the most durable of all shingles. lasting up to 80 years or longer in most cases. In the event of damage, they are also rather simple to replace.
Advantages of tile roofing shingles :
- Tile roofing is non-combustible and exceptionally fire-resistant. They’re also resistant to insects and decay.
- Tile roofing has a lengthy life expectancy of up to 100 years.
- Investing in a tile roof can help you save money on your energy bills. Tile shingles are one of the few roofing materials with built-in energy-saving properties.
The lifespan of Tile roofing shingles: 80 years
6. Slate roofing shingles :
These roofing shingles are manufactured from a specific sort of stone that is naturally extracted from the earth and shaped into shingles. Slate roofing shingles are water-resistant, fire-resistant, and extremely long-lasting. They have a 50-year lifespan.
Advantages of slate roofing shingles :
- Slate roofs may last a long period if properly maintained. They are so long-lasting that they have been known to last up to 150 years.
- These roofs are incredibly appealing because they are made of natural stone. The natural hue variations are popular among homeowners.
- This is a roof that is particularly favorable to the environment. There is no pollution created during the production process, and they can even be recycled if the homeowner decides to switch roof styles.
- Slate does an excellent job of maintaining a steady temperature throughout the home, resulting in decreased monthly heating and cooling expenditures.
The lifespan of Slate roofing shingles: 50 years
Chris JacksonMarch 10, 2022 [ 10:35 am ]
This is very informative and detailed content. Thanks for sharing this here. Looking forward to more in the future.